Personal Retreats & Customized Sabbaticals at St. John's Convent
Come away for rest, refreshment, renewal. Come with an open heart. Come abide in the silence to listen for the whisper of God in your life Leave with the abundance of God's blessings.
The Sisters welcome guests for rest, refreshment, retreat, and participation in the Community's prayer and liturgy. All are welcome. Spend as much time as you like in a private retreat or simply enjoying some peace and quiet, fellowship, and the liturgies of the community.
If you would like to participate in a slightly more structured way, consider the opportunities listed here »
Cost of personal overnight retreats is $75 per night (including 3 meals). If you would like to have individual spiritual direction during your retreat, the cost is $30 per session. Cost of day retreats is $30 (including a private room, noon meal, and coffee breaks), with an additional $30 for spiritual direction.
Dates for personal retreats depend on the availability of space and (if desired) a spiritual director.
See also Guest House ».
SPIRITUAL DIRECTION with Personal Retreat
This is an opportunity to be accompanied individually as a way to deepen your prayer life, to explore particular issues or needs in your relationship with God, and to grow in sensitivity to the movements of the Spirit of God within you. You will have an individual guide for your retreat who will meet with you daily (or less often if you prefer) and help you discern and trust the movement of the Holy Spirit in your life.
The scriptural model for this kind of retreat is Mary’s visit to her cousin Elizabeth who recognized that Mary was carrying within her the Son of God. Each of us carries the God-seed within us. This kind of retreat is an opportunity to allow that Godseed to grow and flourish in our lives and to grow in sensitivity to the movements of the Spirit of God within.
DESIGN YOUR OWN PROGRAM
Contact the Guest House for information on the following:
- Personal retreats scheduled to suit your timetable: for a day, a week, or longer if approved.
- Group retreats, quiet days, and workshops scheduled to suit your church or fellowship group. Bring your own leader or ask for a Sister (if one is available) to lead.
- Personal sabbatical time: come for a month or longer if approved, and enjoy the prayerful, peaceful environment of the Convent chapel, library, and gardens as well as comfortable accommodation and delicious meals.
- • our library of over 16,000 volumes, which includes an excellent collection on spirituality, theology, church history, and scripture study, as well as good recreational reading
Contact the Guest House for details:
Phone: 416-226-2201, ext. 305
CUSTOMIZED SABBATICAL PROGRAMS
Do you have some sabbatical time coming up? Consider spending all or part of it at St. John’s Convent Guest House, and making use of our varied resources:
- our library of over 16,000 volumes, which includes an excellent collection on spirituality, theology, church history, and scripture study, as well as good recreational reading
- easy access to the Toronto School of Theology and its varied denominational colleges - www.tst.edu »
- availability of all the cultural resources of the Greater Toronto Area
- the option of participating in any or all of the “Food for the Soul” programs while you are here - see here »
- the availability of spiritual direction at the Convent t - spiritual direction »
- the opportunity to join the Sisters, as desired, for the daily celebration of the Eucharist as well as sung Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and Compline - worship »
- comfortable rooms, lounges, and pantries, with the option of a room with ensuite bath (depending on availability)
- a peaceful, relaxed environment both inside and out, with beautiful gardens and walks
- option of taking a bag lunch if you are going out for the day
- free high-speed internet access
- free parking and laundry facilities
- easy accessibility to public transit - map / transit »
Phone: 416-226-2201, ext. 305